0208 - Introduction to Writing the Short Story: The Power of Words
“The truth about stories is that that’s all we are." - Thomas King.
This highly interactive course will consider the difference between short fiction (the short story) and short creative nonfiction, asking how culture, language, surroundings, and perceptions influence our writing. Additionally, this class will focus on the craft—characterization, setting, dialogue, description and detail, and theme—of the short story and creative nonfiction. We will explore writing through writing practice, discussions, and class feedback.
Be prepared for a dynamic and fun course that deeply connects to the practice of creative writing!
In the course, we will discuss and answer the following questions:
- What makes a short story?
- What is the difference between fiction and creative nonfiction?
- What is plot, conflict, and climax?
- How do writers use narration?
- How do writers use summary and scene?
- How do writers write characters and dialogue?
You will also:
- Strengthen your writing, reading, and analytical skills through the process of writing the short story and creative nonfiction
- Explore the craft of creative writing through specific creative writing techniques
- Learn and explore the process of writing story drafts
- Embrace the discourse of creative writing by giving and receiving feedback on writing projects
- Have the possibility to engage and interact with others to create strong writing communities
- Produce a portfolio of your best work at the end of the course
Applies Towards the Following Certificates or Series
- Certificate in Professional Writing : Certificate in Professional Writing