This course is intended for people who want to become Hawaii Department of Education (HIDOE) substitute teachers in elementary, middle/intermediate, and/or high schools (K-12). Students who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate of completion, and will be eligible to apply to become a HIDOE substitute teacher. Merely completing the course does not guarantee employment as a substitute teacher with the HIDOE.
Course OutlineThe course is delivered online in an asynchronous format over six weeks. There are a series of modules and related activities and assignments that include learning about professional behavior, rules and regulations, initiatives in education, planning instruction, best practices in teaching, classroom management, and creating and delivering effective and relevant instruction. Students will have opportunities to interact with the course instructor and each other through the use of the UHM Laulima online platform.
Learning goals include:
- Be knowledgeable of HIDOE policies, rules, and procedures that are related to teaching in general and to substitute teaching in particular,
- Be skilled in managing classes that are productive and orderly,
- Be aware of Department instructional goals, objectives, and expectations,
- Use effective instructional techniques,
- Exemplify positive attitudes towards the role and responsibilities of a substitute teacher and towards students and other school personnel.
Enrollment requirement: For the 2020-21 School Year only, applicants with at least a high school diploma or equivalent may enroll in the substitute teacher certification course, and upon successful completion, apply to become a substitute teacher.
Note 1: Prospective HIDOE substitute teacher applicants are NOT required to take the course if 1) you completed a state approved teacher education program from an accredited institution recognized by HIDOE, or 2) you hold a valid Hawaii State teacher license, or 3) you are a retired HIDOE teacher, or 4) you are a current HIDOE teacher. If you meet any of the four conditions outlined above you do not need to take the course and may apply to be a substitute at https://ehr.k12.hi.us/jobs