0108 - Proofreading Fundamentals for Business & Marketing Professionals
If you have found yourself wishing that you could create sentences that are clearer, simpler, and better understood by others, this course is for you. If you have found yourself pensively contemplating the placement of a single comma in something you have written or the written work of someone else, you will relish the content presented within this course.
Writing well in any setting requires a true appreciation for the recipient—the reader. Using the written word to express anything of importance can be challenging, though, because when one writes, one shares a sense of what makes us human. This awareness is essential for solid editing.
In this hands-on course, we will use Standard American English to explore key techniques for proofreading, copyediting, line editing, developmental editing, structural editing, content editing, and collaborating with writers. Attendees will begin by learning and utilizing proofreaders’ marks—both in the left and right margins and the corresponding lines of text—indicating and correcting errors within the hard copy of a typed text. We will then move to onscreen editing.
Whether you want to polish your writing, hone your skills to edit the manuscripts of others, or simply build your confidence as an expert in all elements of the English language, you will enjoy this fun, interactive, and exploratory course that celebrates the concept of writing well.
- How to edit in American English for a variety of audiences and content types, including corporate communications, web publications, fiction, and narrative nonfiction
- Grammatical rules and how to utilize standard and customized style guides
- Online editing and content management tools and best practices
- Characteristics of various professional environments and strategies for determining the best fit for you as an editor
- Develop skills by editing excerpts of text crafted by real authors
Who Should Attend?
- Those interested in workplace or freelance copyediting and proofreading
- Those who have an appreciation for writing, and editing, with an eye for precision
- Individuals looking to hone editorial skills to improve their own writing or assist others
- Those looking to advance their careers in any number of professions by working on perfecting their writing
- Anyone interested in further contemplating the intricacies and idiosyncrasies, within the English language
Applies Towards the Following Certificates or Series
- Certificate in Leadership and Management : Certificate in Leadership and Management
- Certificate in Professional Communication : Certificate in Professional Communication
- Certificate in Professional Writing : Certificate in Professional Writing